Looking for a savory soup that’s VEGAN and ISN’T boring? Well, this cream of potato and cauliflower soup is just for you! It’s heavy with flavor, but super healthy and completely vegan and gluten free.
Note: I use a Vitamix and I recommend using one for this recipe in order to make sure it’s SUPER creamy and smooth. You can also use another brand of a high-speed blender, I just happen to really love our Vitamix!
- Gluten Free
- Contains nuts (Cashews), but the cashews can be replaced with more potatoes if you have a nut allergy.
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1 small bag of “petite” potatoes (I prefer the medley bag with a variation of mixed potatoes)
- 1 large onion (red, or white is fine – I sometimes add more onions!)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cups cashews (soaked overnight if you don’t have a Vitamix)
- 2.5 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 5-6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- Braggs “herbs & spices” seasoning (not needed, but recommended)
- 2-3 teaspoons Rosemary (or to taste)
- 2-3 teaspoons Thyme (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Pepper (or to taste)
- Avocado Oil (used for baking veggies)
- Olive Oil (used for cooktop cooking of veggies)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop up your cauliflower, onions, potatoes and garlic, place them on a baking sheet, and top with the avocado. Shuffle the oil into the veggies, and bake for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once your veggies are done baking, toss them in a skillet with olive oil to continue cooking for a softer texture. This step is optional, and I usually skip it if I’m in a hurry since I’m blending with a Vitamix anyways. I would only recommend this step if you’ve decided to make the soup chunky instead of creamy.
- Throw all ingredients into your Vitamix and blend, going from low to high. I like to leave out about 1 cup of the cooked potatoes to allow for some chunky pieces in the soup. If you don’t want any chunks in your soup, simply throw everything into your Vitamix.
- Once you’ve blended your soup, place everything in a pot and continue to cook — add potato chunks, and start test-tasting to see if you need to add any additional seasoning.